Showing people that Success is defined by them!

My photo
Boise, Idaho, United States
Our mission at Shaping Success Network is to help others find their own meaning of success, and is to realize that success is not defined by other people, but rather by the work, the sweat and the investment in ourselves to realize it all comes from within.

Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Wes Tankersley the early years…

    It was December 3rd 1980 early morning and that’s when Wesley James Tankersley was brought into the world

    Tom and Laurie Tankersley’s second son, Gregg was born 2 years earlier and now had a brother. At this point Tom and Laurie live in Soledad California. Laurie was a home maker, something that was not looked down upon in the those days. Tom worked at Soledad Hardware store, a family owned business started by his father Drury and his best friend. Drury or Dude as most people knew him was what most people would call an Entrepreneur these days. He spent some time in the Army, and Navy. He had 6 kids 5 boys and 1 girl. Leslie his wife had been by his side for many years. 

    We lived in the hills near the Soledad Mission the first few years of my life. Sometime around the time I started Kindergarten my parents purchased a triple wide mobile home and put it right down the road from my grandparents home. Just a quick walk though the almond orchard, and we were at Grandma’s house. She always had treats in the cookie jar, whether it was cookies or whole made candy you could always count on Grandma. 

    Grandpa drove an old station wagon, the kind that had the wood paneling and back seat that faced the back of the car. This was the last resort when you had a bunch of people in the car. I remember my mom used to borrow the wagon when she was hauling the us and our friends. 

    Mom and Dad didn’t have much, and one month before I turned 2 my little brother was born. I sure as hell don’t know how my dad and mom did it. At 42 my son Nolan turns one tomorrow, and my daughter Tatum is nine. Let’s just say Kristine and I had a late start in parenthood, but more on this later.  

    Dad didn’t make much at the time working at the family hardware store. He always worked his ass off though and passed this work ethic on to his children. I am not sure how they made it in those days, I am pretty sure he made something like 5 dollars and house at the time. Can you imagine that today? Raising 3 boys, and trying to take care of your wife and self as well. It’s really crazy when you think of it. 

    So crazy that when he asked my grandfather for a raise of 1 dollar he said no, and my dad started looking for another job. You see he wasn’t tied to his family, and realized he must do something different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shaping Success Episode 3 Synopsis by Nikki Pavlovich

  Welcome to Shaping Success with Wes Tankersley as Wes talks to his boss Frank Arroues about his story of success. Frank grew up in Souther...