Showing people that Success is defined by them!

My photo
Boise, Idaho, United States
Our mission at Shaping Success Network is to help others find their own meaning of success, and is to realize that success is not defined by other people, but rather by the work, the sweat and the investment in ourselves to realize it all comes from within.

Saturday, December 10, 2022

We all have Circumstances…

  I have to admit, I have lives somewhat of a sheltered life, although my parents throttled me back to make sure that I was successful in their eyes. I had a pretty good upbringing… I had plenty of food, I had good parents who instilled hard work and integrity and so much more. 

With that being said, I still had issues and still do. When I read Rich dad Poor Dad I had an eye opening experience. I realized that what my parents looked at success, was not what I think it is. They just wanted to give me more than they had. They wanted me to have more than just some 5 dollar an hour job that I could barely get by on. The interesting thing they like many other people equated this to getting a good job that pays well and had medical benefits as well as a good retirement.  

This was all fine and well, and I had it in my mind from the beginning of time. There is a lot more to this story but I ultimately took their advice and went to college. Those of you who know my story, know that sports was the only thing that kept me getting good grades. As a matter of fact, I got a 4.0 my senior year in high school because I wasn’t going to get in to college to play football if I didn’t. I ended my high school education with a 3.0 GPA and was only because of the 4.0.

Take sports out of the equation, my motivation to get good grades and I flunked out of the University of Idaho with a 1.7 GPA. I went into working manual labor in a tire center for the next 11 years. I hated every minute of it, well except with one aspect. Training other people to do what I did… You see the program I flunked out of was education. I am and wanted to be a teacher…

Fast forward 7 years later, and I obtained my Masters Degree in education with a combined 3.8 GPA. You see what I lacked was the motivation to do well in school. When I went back 11 years later I had a more determination. The fact of the matter was I lacked the motivation, the first time. It wasn’t that I was not smart enough, it was that I did not apply myself… 

Sounds like I listened to my parents after all…

By the way, I no longer teach in an educational setting. The reach wasn’t worth the output of my skills. 

I still do and will always value being able to teach people that they can be better than what they believe they can. You just have to do the work. 

What are you doing to help yourself is the question I will leave you with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shaping Success Episode 3 Synopsis by Nikki Pavlovich

  Welcome to Shaping Success with Wes Tankersley as Wes talks to his boss Frank Arroues about his story of success. Frank grew up in Souther...